Saturday, February 9, 2013

TheBus

In November, shortly before thanksgiving, I got into a car accident in which my little car was damaged beyond repair.  Since than my husband and I have been sharing one car, or rather one truck.  Anyway, we usually commute in and out of work together each day but today, considering the fact that I got off at one and he wasn't scheduled to get off until five, I decided that i'd take the bus home.  I waited for a little over an hour for thebus to arrive.

At the moment, I am a server by occupation and I spend hours on my feet waitressing and serving people.  Mind you, I am going into the seventh month of pregnancy, I had just got off of work and I was exhausted.  I got unto the bus and was not really surprised to see that it was completely full.  I was forced to stand up because there were a whole lot of young kids sitting down in the handicap/elderly section and beyond.

I am not really one for self pity and I do not expect people to stand up for me on the bus just because I'm pregnant.  However, I am truly appreciative when people do give up their seat for me because at this point in term, my balance truly does suck and my feet get tired from standing the whole way. What wrung my heart though, was that of all of the people on the bus who were of high school age to roughly mid-thirties the ONLY person who offered me his seat was an elderly kupuna (grandpa.)  I did not want to take his seat.  However he insisted and insisted that I sit down so that my baby didn't have to stress.  He told me not to worry because his stop would be coming up soon anyway.  I did give in and being an emotional wreck on top of everything for no apparent reason, his simple act of kindness made me cry.

He did get off shortly but I realized the reason that his act had made me cry is that of all the people on the bus who were physically capable to stand, the only one emotionally and ethically attuned to the need of this huge pregnant woman was this kupuna.  To some degree, I was torn between feeling a huge amount of respect and appreciation towards our elder generation but almost an equal amount of disgust with the current/younger generation whom for the most part are seriously lacking in values.  Many people turn a blind eye when others are in need and from my experience on thebus, most teenagers don't give up their seats to those who need them such as the elderly and/or the disabled.

With that, I would like to close this note in saying that I am looking forward to raising my son to be full of empathy, compassion and respect.  I want him to be able to access situations and do things not because he would get anything in return, but rather because he would know that he is doing is the right thing.  Even if the situation is a simple as giving up a seat for an elder or pregnant lady.

Belly shot for the day while I'm at it.  This is literally what I looked like on the bus just now.



No comments:

Post a Comment